Friday, February 24, 2012

Lloyd-Jones: Wrong theology causes wars!




And because of these two views – that God is love only and that people are essentially good – it is said that all that is necessary to put the world right is to show men and women the good way to live and give them a picture of life as it ideally should be… Set it before the nations that God is love and that people are essentially good.  They are bound to rise to it.  Appeal to them.  Be reasonable.  Do not say, ‘Thou shalt not’, but say, ‘Isn’t this wonderful?  Surely this appeals to you?’

And the leaders of the nations tried that approach with Hitler.  Afterwards that was called appeasement.  But they believed it then.  ‘Surely,’ said Mr Neville Chamberlain, ‘if only I meet him and talk to him man to man… I’m a businessman and I’ve never failed yet when I meet a man across the table.  It’s all very well sending diplomatic notes but I’ll go to him.  I’ll sit down with him and appeal to him.  He’s bound to listen.’  And Chamberlain believed it!  He was quite honest; he was perfectly sincere.  It was his theology that was wrong.

DM Lloyd-Jones in ‘born of God’ page 87

No comments: