Saturday, June 30, 2012

Panda Eyes

I've got panda eyes this morning.  Unfortunately, I can't upload pictures from this computer (there must be a way...) so I can't show you.  So I'll have to content myself with telling you how it happened.

As my regular reader will know, we arrived here in Grindelwald on Monday night.  It was raining, and Tuesday followed with more rain - quite a lot, actually.  Though we're in the shadow of the magnificent north-face of the Eiger, for most of Tuesday it was just not visible.  I mean - not at all.

Wednesday, the weather cleared.  The contrast was remarkable.  Bright clear skies, warm sunshine.  We took advantage to take a trip to Interlaken.   The train journey is  beautiful, and our intention was to look around the town.  However, when we arrived it was lunch-time, and we took the quick decision to go, once more, up the Harder Kulm by funnicular.  We have, of course, been up before.  .  We both like doing things that we know we'll enjoy, so up we went for lunch in the restaurant.  It was a pleasant, relaxing afternoon doing not very much.

That doesn't account for the panda eyes.  Nor does the following day, Thursday.  That day we stayed around Grindelwald itself.  While the excursions are excellent, and good value, they are also rather expensive - our rule-of-thumb therefore is to 'go out' every two or three days.

Yesterday, Friday, dawned bright and sunny.  Last time we were here, the cable-way at First (just at the Eastern End of Grindelwald) was closed for maintenance, and we'd been told it was worth a visit.  So this time, up we went.

It's an impressive ride.  It's a more impressive destination.  The view is almost unbelievable - and when I get home I hope to add-in some pictures so that you'll see what I mean.  While there are many walks well sign-posted from First, it was frankly too hot.  We think it must have reached 30-degrees plus while we were up there; so we contented ourselves with lunch, sitting on the viewing platform, saying 'Wow!' at intervals, and sun-bathing.  As a Yorkshireman who still revels in Yorkshire, I'm not used to sun-bathing so it was a novel experience.  I sat with sun-glasses on and enjoyed the view.

When we came 'home' parts of me were very red.  My nose would rival Rudolph's, my legs no longer look like plucked chicken, my arms are turning an impressive shade of bronze.  BUT the sunglasses shielded the immediate area of my eyes.  They remain white.  Panda-eyes!

Today, Saturday, is the day of the wedding of Chris Beedie and Hannah Moore, back in Moordown.  Our prayers are with them.

No comments: